ESC Campership Program Information
Since its founding, a primary aim of Scouting has been to teach self-reliance and promote a strong work ethic. Just as important, perhaps, is the goal that no Cub Scout, Boy Scout or Venturer ever be prevented from participating in a Scouting activity because of lack of funds. The Campership Program helps us achieve these objectives. This program is funded by Erie Shores Council donors and therefore is limited to In-Council Units. Each year partial Scout camping fees are awarded to those youth who wish to go to camp but are unable to pay. This money is given in return for some form of service to the community, to the church or synagogue, or to the member’s chartered institution.
To participate the youth must:
- Identify a “good turn” work project. This project should be age appropriate and of the youth’s own choosing. Unit service projects, such as Scouting for Food, do not qualify, nor do service projects completed as part of a Scout’s advancement program. The project should involve a significant number of hours and effort on the youth’s part.
- Secure his/her unit leader’s approval that the project is worthwhile.
- With the unit leader, fill out the online Campership Proposal Application.
- For Summer Camp and Cub Day Camp, the deadline for initial submission is April 1st. The project must be completed before thier participation in the camping event.
- Once council approval is received via email, complete the project he/she has agreed to do to the satisfaction of the unit leader.
- With the unit leader, complete the online Campership Project Completion Report.
Camperships will be awarded for attend Erie Shores Council summer camping programs. These are defined as Cub Scout Day Camp (council or district operated) and Boy Scout/Venturing resident camp programs at Pioneer Scout Reservation. Camperships will be awarded strictly on the “honor system”. No proof of income is required, although the program is designed to help low income youth who could not otherwise afford to go to camp.
Properly approved Campership projects will result in a credit at the Scout Service Center applied in the youth’s name toward the camp or activity for which he/she completed the Campership. The unit leader will be notified the credit has been applied. Please remember that you must must complete the online Campership Project Completion Form once the project is completed. Failure to compelete this form will result in a charges towards the Unit/Parent.
Those who wish to contribute to the Campership Fund may do so by sending their contribution to:
Erie Shores Council Campership Fund
P.O. Box 8728
Toledo, OH 43623
Please be sure to indicate that you would like your donation to go to the Council Campership Fund.