Program: Scouting for Food
Scouting for Food
Scouting for Food is the annual food collection organized by Scouts from Erie Shores Council. Local scouts distribute plastic bags with door hangers (tags) to homes across Ottawa County, Lucas County, Sandusky County, and Wood County. The Scouts return to collect filled bags, at least one week later.
Special thank you to the 2017-2018 tag (door) hanger sponsor, Frisch's Big Boy of Northwest Ohio; and the 2017-2018 patch sponsor Keystone Press Toledo.
FAQ: Distribution of hangers (tags), Collection of Donations, and Safety
- Door Tags (hangers) distribution and donation pick up should occur in your designated area;
- Travel in groups of 2 or more Scouts with adequate adult supervision (2 Deep Leadership), don’t enter homes;
- Wear your Class A uniform for both door tags (hangers) distribution and donation pick up;
- Do not place door tags (hangers) in, or attach to U.S. mailboxes. Hang flyers on the door. Distribute flyers to residences only. Skip businesses and apartment complexes;
- Make sure the Council has your current year commitment form on-file (scroll down for the form);
- Remember to pick up donations timely, within your designated area;
- Contact Food pantries beforehand to ensure timely delivery, and take plenty of pictures of Scouts in Action;
- Once donations are collected. Don’t forget to enter your service hours (including number of collected items), so you can earn a Free Patch. When entering service hours see tips below
FAQ: Entering Service Hours
ENTERING SERVICE HOURS (Scouting for food) by following these tips your unit has a higher chance of successfully entering all hours correctly and receiving your patch (recognition) quickly.
- Enter Pack and Troop in different entries;
- Enter tag (hanger) distribution and donation collection under 2 different entries
- For tag (hanger) distribution (select: Food Collect)
- For donation collection (select: Food Collect)
- Enter service date
- Enter total hours completed by all volunteers (Scouts, parents, etc)
- Under total number of Scout youth adults (list all unit registered Scouts and unit volunteers)
- Under Total non-Scout youth and adults (list any community partners that assisted; I.E. Girl Scouts USA, Heritage Girls, Etc).
- Name Project: list Scouting for Food
FAQ: How long does it take to receive tags (hangers) or patches
- Please allow up to 3 days to receive hangers (tags) once a commitment form has been received. The contact person listed on the commitment form usually receives a confirmation email with pick up information.
- Hangers (tags) are available on a first come first serve basis, beginning in September (annually)
- Patches can be purchased ahead of time for $1.00 each or you can "earn" a free patch once service hours have been entered and verified.