Program: Scouting for Food
Scouting for Food
Scouting for Food is the annual food collection organized by Scouts from Erie Shores Council. Local Scouts distribute plastic bags with door tags to homes across Ottawa County, Lucas County, Sandusky County, and Wood County. The Scouts return to collect filled bags at least one week later.
- Erie Shores Council-wide: Spring 2021
- April 17, 2021 - Door Tag distribution
- April 24, 2021 - donation pick-up
- Wood District: Fall 2021
- October 16, 2021 - Door Tag distribution
- October 23, 2021 - donation pick-up
- Eagle Bay District -TBD
Special thank you to the 2020-2021 sponsor, Huntington Bank.
FAQ: Distribution of Door Tags, Collection of Donations, and Safety
- Door Tag distribution and donation pick-up should occur in your designated area;
- Travel in groups of two or more Scouts with adequate adult supervision (Two-Deep Leadership), DO NOT enter homes.
- Wear your Field Uniform for both door tags (hangers) distribution and donation pick-up.
- Do not place door tags in or attach them to USPS mailboxes. Hang door tags on the door. Distribute door tags to residences only. Skip businesses and apartment complexes.
- Make sure the Council has your current year commitment form on file.
- Remember to pick up donations timely, within your designated area.
- Contact food pantries beforehand to ensure timely delivery and take plenty of pictures of Scouts in Action.
- Once donations are collected, do not forget to enter your service hours (including the number of collected items), so you can earn a free patch. When entering service hours, see tips below.
FAQ: Entering Service Hours
ENTERING SERVICE HOURS (Scouting for food) by following these tips, your unit has a higher chance of successfully entering all hours correctly and receiving your patch (recognition) quickly.
- Enter Pack and Troop in different entries;
- Enter tag (hanger) distribution and donation collection under 2 different entries
- For tag (hanger) distribution (select: Food Collect)
- For donation collection (select: Food Collect)
- Enter service date
- Enter total hours completed by all volunteers (Scouts, parents, etc.)
- Under the total number of Scout youth adults (list all unit registered Scouts and unit volunteers)
- Under Total non-Scout youth and adults.
- Name Project: list Scouting for Food.
FAQ: How long does it take to receive tags (hangers) or patches
- Please allow up to three days to receive the door tags once a commitment form has been received. The contact person listed on the commitment form usually receives a confirmation email with pick-up information.
- Door tags are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, beginning in September (annually).
- Patches can be purchased ahead of time for $1.00 each, or you can "earn" a free patch once service hours have been entered and verified.
|Spring and Fall 2021 Commitment Form and SFF Dates||This form is the Fall 2018-Spring 2019 commitment form, and has the Scouting for food dates for Eagle Bay District, Wood District, and Erie Shores Council.||Download|