Philmont Council Contingent 2024
Are You Looking for Adventure?
- Stand on a mountain peak with the whole world spread out at your feet?
- Forge life-long friendships as you hike mountain trails?
- Experience living history in programs such as homesteading, cattle ranching, logging, gold mining and panning, trapping, mountain livin’ and blacksmithing?
- Face challenges of body, mind and spirit while hiking mountain trails, rock climbing and rappelling, giving service such as building trails?
- See stars so close it seems you could touch them?
- Cross streams so clear you can see the eye of a trout?
- Spot wildlife including mule deer, antelope, mountain lion, rattlesnakes, elk, black bear, bobcat, and bison?
- Stand “on top of the world” at the peak of Baldy Mountain, Mount Phillips or the Tooth of Time?
Well then . . . we have just the opportunity you’ve been waiting for!
2024 Could be your year to hike!
The 2024 Council Philmont Contingent will consist of two provisional crews – currently planned to be one for female youth and one for male youth. Each crew has a maximum of 12 participants (including up to 4 adults) drawn from Crews and Troops across the council. Crew advisers will be selected from adult applicants.
This opportunity is open to all Venturers and to Scouts who will be at least 14 years old by January 1, 2024 (or 13 and completed 8th grade by June 2024). Scouts must be at least First Class rank. Adult applicants must be at least 21 and currently registered with a unit. As noted above, slots for adults are limited.
ALL participants MUST meet Philmont’s fitness criteria.
“So . . . What is Philmont Anyway?”
Philmont is 220 square miles of Scouting adventure set in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northern New Mexico. Trek participants will explore Philmont’s high country on a 12-day backpacking expedition.
“Wait - did that say ‘High Country’?”
You bet – the ranch elevation ranges from 6,600’ at base camp to 12,441’ at the peak of Baldy Mountain. The rugged mountain wilderness really is a true Scouting Paradise!
Dates & Travel
We will leave Toledo on Saturday, June 29th and return Saturday July 13th. We will travel via AMTRAK and Philmont bus. Exact times of departure and return arrival will depend on AMTRAK’s scheduling.
Fees & Registration
The council will collect fees to cover the cost of Philmont and travel. Since the only fee we know for sure now is the Philmont fee, the budget may be adjusted as specific costs are known. Other expenses such as meals en-route, training and expendable supplies will be determined by the crews. The tentative estimate is $2,350 per participant.
To register for a spot, individuals must complete the reservation form and return it to the council service center. Slots will be filled as applications are received. Successful applicants must make a non-refundable down payment of $150 to secure their spot. Once crews are filled, applicants will be placed on a waiting list and the down payment refunded. Adult applicants must meet the same registration and payment criteria.
Since Philmont does not make refunds, if a participant cancels, fees can be returned only if a replacement is found.
We take boys and girls to Philmont . . .
We bring young men and women back!
Please complete and submit your interest form today! Please submit by April 21, 2023, for best consideration.
Please contact Chuck Walker at email@example.com or 419-459-3130 for more information.